During a Reiki Level 1 course, most students find it easy to connect to Reiki energy. They also find it easy to do the meditation exercises that are taught to strengthen it.
Not so afterwards.
In the days following a course it quite often happens that students not only begin to feel a bit lost, they also struggle to reconnect to everything that previously came so easily to them.
From there it is not unusual for students to gradually decrease the amount of Reiki they practice until eventually they are overrun by everyday concerns and stop altogether.
How then can you make sure your Reiki does not slip into the 'I'm-too-busy-to-do-it' box? How can you ensure that your Reiki ability improves rather than fades?
This article looks at some simple things you should both know and do to keep your confidence sky high while you continue to develop your Reiki.
Be Consistent With Your Practice
The first thing to ensure after you have finished your course is that you are consistent with your practice. You may be busy, you may not always wish to do it; But it is essential. Make a commitment to do some Reiki every day for 21 days and you will find that everything you have learned is not only consolidated, but also improved.
Two things to remember:
- A little bit of practice every day of the week is a lot better than a lot of practice on just one day of the week. Consistency is the key to good results. Do a bit of practice every day and you will be surprised by what you achieve.
- You will not need to practice every day forever. Once you have consolidated your Reiki you will probably get good results even if you miss a day or two of practice. Just do not miss too many days early on, because if you do you will not only get into a bad habit that could be difficult to shake, you may also find yourself getting less predictable results. (Note: It is important to remember that you can never lose your ability to do Reiki after you have been attuned – not even if you stop practicing. All that happens is that your sensitivity and ability to channel decrease – something that is reversible with practice .)
Ideally, your teacher will give you a 21-programme to follow as well as an instruction manual. An e-program is probably best, as it can be delivered to your inbox every day, so nudging you towards consistent practice.
Have Faith – Reiki Always Works!
A problem for beginners is often that their Reiki ability does not seem consistent. One day energy is flying everywhere, the next they can hardly feel a thing. Does this mean their Reiki ability has suddenly dropped off? Or could there be other explanations?
What you need to remember is that there can be many reasons for energy fluctuations. For instance:
- Your body has reached a saturation point and does not need any more energy at present.
- Your energy is working on an emotional, rather than physical level.
- You can not feel as much energy flowing out of your hands because the energy channels in them have expanded. To understand this, think of these energy circuits to be like a pipeline: at first you are using a small one that struggles to cope with even modest amounts of energy flowing through it; Later, your 'pipeline' widens so you can fit more energy in – energy that may well seem less voluminous because the pressure is not so great.
The best idea is simply to study your emotional / health state over a period of time (ie at least a week). If it is improving then things are going well – even if you can not always feel the Reiki doing a lot of good.
Finally, remember that Reiki always works – even if you can not see how. This may sound like unsupported faith, but it's true. Just ask all experienced practitioners. The thing to remember is simply that there are not always obvious short term results. Over time, however, you will see the benefits. You might just need to be patient.
Practice on Friends and Family
A great way to grow in confidence is by practicing on other people. Since it is generally easier to do Reiki on others than yourself (you feel more, they feel more!), It is a great way to boost your confidence and get valuable feedback.
It's also a great way to overcome the natural tendency to explain away all Reiki sensations as pure imagination. After all, if someone tells you they feel energetic pulsations or heat, it's hard not to believe them. If you experience them yourself, it is easy to think you are just imagining it.
Speak to Your Teacher
It's amazing how few students contact their teacher after a course – even if they have lots of questions. This is especially odd given how most teachers are supporting their students.
So call or write to your teacher if you have a question. Do not stay troubled and do nothing about it. If you do, you only have yourself to blame.
When doing Reiki, results will always vary. It is therefore important not to become overly attached to short term results. Just do your best and leave everything else to the 'gods'. This approach gives you the best chance of being a clear Reiki 'channel' – and the clearer the channel, the better the results!